Security forces in Iraq have found a mass grave containing about 100 decomposed bodies.
The grave, discovered in Khalis, north of the capital, Baghdad, is one of the largest such finds in several months.
...A US military spokesman said the bodies were mainly skeletal, indicating they may have been there a long time.
Iraqi army officer Major General Abdel Karim al-Rubaie added that the victims were beyond recognition.
"We can't identify them," he told AFP news agency. "There are just bones in there. At the moment we have left the remains in the grave itself."
Khalis Human rights groups believe there are many such mass graves in Iraq where thousands of people killed during the regime of deposed president Saddam Hussein were buried.
- THE LEFT - INCLUDING OBAMA AND HILLARY - ARGUES THAT THE IRAQ WAR WAS A MISTAKE AND AN UNNECESSARY DISTRACTION; THAT SADDAM WAS HARMLESS, AND THAT WE ARE NOT SAFER AS A RESULT -- AND ARGUES THAT IT HAS WRECKED THE LIVES OF IRAQIS.
- MORE DEFENSELESS IRAQIS DIED EACH YEAR UNDER SADDAM THAN EACH YEAR SINCE SADDAM WAS DEPOSED.
- THEY WERE TERRORIZED BY SADDAM'S BAATHIST/SOCIALIST STATE EVERYDAY. AS WERE HIS NEIGHBORS.
Since the Saddam Hussein regime was overthrown in May, 270 mass graves have been reported.YET THE OBAMESSIAH AND HILLARY AND DEMS SAY WE SHOULD HAVE LEFT HIM ALONE.... SHEESH
By mid-January, 2004, the number of confirmed sites climbed to fifty-three. Some graves hold a few dozen bodies—their arms lashed together and the bullet holes in the backs of skulls testimony to their execution. Other graves go on for hundreds of meters, densely packed with thousands of bodies.
"We've already discovered just so far the remains of 400,000 people in mass graves," said British Prime Minister Tony Blair on November 20 in London.
The United Nations, the U.S. State Department, Amnesty International, and Human Rights Watch (HRW) all estimate that Saddam Hussein's regime murdered hundreds of thousands of innocent people.
"Human Rights Watch estimates that as many as 290,000 Iraqis have been 'disappeared' by the Iraqi government over the past two decades," said the group in a statement in May. "Many of these 'disappeared' are those whose remains are now being unearthed in mass graves all over Iraq."
If these numbers prove accurate, they represent a crime against humanity surpassed only by the Rwandan genocide of 1994, Pol Pot's Cambodian killing fields in the 1970s, and the Nazi Holocaust of World War II.
- THIS MASS GRAVE REMINDS US THAT HIS WAS A GENOCIDAL REGIME. AND THAT SANCTIONS HAD FAILED.
- NOW, IRAQIS HAVE A DEMOCRACY AND ARE MORE AND MORE DEFENDING THEMSELVES.
- PREMATURE RETREAT - WHICH OBAMA AND HILARY BOTH SUPPORT - WOULD OUT ALL OUR HARD-EARNED GAINS AT RISK.