Hammam Saeed says Arabs have grown disgruntled with U.S. domination of their oil wealth, military occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan and its support for “totalitarian” leaders in the region.
Hopeful that the protests sweeping Arab lands may create an opening for hard-line Islamic forces, conservatives in Iran are taking deep satisfaction in the events in Tunisia, Egypt and Yemen, where secular leaders have faced large-scale uprisings.I HAVE A HUNCH IRAN IS DOPING MORE THAN MERELY APPLAUDING FORM THE SIDELINES.
While the government of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad confronted its own popular uprising two years ago — and successfully suppressed it — conservatives in Iran said they saw little similarity between those events and the Arab revolts, and instead likened the recent upheavals to Iran’s own 1979 Islamic revolution.
“In my opinion, the Islamic Republic of Iran should see these events without exception in a positive light,” said Mohammad-Javad Larijani, secretary general of the Iranian High Council for Human Rights and one of the most outspoken figures among Iran’s traditional conservatives.
He made it clear that he hoped that the “anti-Islamic” government of Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali, who was ousted in Tunisia, would be replaced by a “people’s government,” meaning one in which conservative Islamic forces would gain the upper hand, as they did when Iranian people overthrew Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, establishing a quasi-theocracy.
I HAVE A HUNCH THAT IRAN AND ITS ISLAMIST ALLIES AND STOOGES IN THE MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD HAVE INSTIGATED, AND INFILTRATED AND FINANCED THE RECENT REVOLTS IN TUNIS AND EGYPT AND WILL SOON UNLEASH ONE IN JORDAN. (UPDATE: THE HOUSE OF SAUD AGREES.)
(IRAN USED OTHER MEANS IN LEBANON!)
IOW: I AM CONVINCED THAT THIS IS NOT A DEMOCRATIC REVOLUTION SWEEPING THE ARAB WORLD.
THIS IS A JIHADO-LEFTIST REVOLT. THAT'S RIGHT - AND YOU READ IT HERE FIRST.
- ONE OF THE BASIC THEMES RUNNING THROUGH ALL THE UNREST IS THE IDEA THAT THE RULERS AND THEIR FRIENDS - ESPECIALLY THEIR AMERICAN ONES - HAVE MADE THE PEOPLE POOR, AND THAT THIS IS WHY THERE'S SO MUCH UNREST - AND WHY THEIR DIRECTING THEIR FRUSTRATION AGAINST THE RULING REGIMES.
- THE PEOPLE REBELLING BLAME THEIR SAD SITUATION ON THEIR REGIMES AND THE USA.
- AS IF HAD THE EGYPTIANS AND TUNISIANS AND JORDANIANS AND YEMENIS ONLY BEEN LEFT ALONE THEY'D HAVE BUILT A PROSPEROUS AND LIBERATED SOCIETY WITH "ECONOMIC JUSTICE".
- EGYPT HAS 35 MILLION STRONG YOUTHFUL CITIZENS WHO - DESPITE 30 BILLION IN AMERICAN AID - HAVE PRODUCED NO DECENT ECONOMIC GROWTH FOR THE LAST 35 YEARS WHILE DURING THE SAME PERIOD OF TIME THE ONCE DIRT-POOR AND WAR-RAVAGED SOUTH KOREA HAS BECOME A HUGE PROSPEROUS ECONOMY.
IF THEY DO SO HONESTLY THEN THEY MIGHT SEE THAT THEY HAVE TO RID THEMSELVES OF MORE THAN MUBARAK AND MUBARAK'S CRONY-CAPITALISM.
THEY NEED TO RID THEMSELVES OF ISLAMISM - AND EVEN ISLAM.
- ISLAM IS FUNDAMENTALLY INCOMPATIBLE WITH MODERNITY - AND THAT MEANS ISLAMIC NATIONS WILL PROBABLY NEVER EVOLVE TO MODERNITY AND DEMOCRACY AND PROSPERITY WITHOUT JETTISONING OR AT LEAST TOTALLY CONTAINING ISLAM.
- ATTATURK KNEW THIS.
- TURKEY EVOLVED TOWARD MODERNITY FOR ONLY AS LONG AS ATTATURK'S SECULAR STATE EXISTED. NOW, TURKEY IS SLIPPING BACK INTO ISLAMISM.
ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS LOOK AT AFGHANISTAN UNDER THE TALIBAN AND IRAN UNDER THE MULLAHS TO REALIZE THAT THE LIVES OF THOSE LIVING UNDER ISLAMIC RULE WILL BE AWFUL.
WHAT BOTHERS ME MOST IS THAT IF THESE MUSLIM NATIONS ALL BECOME ISLAMIST NATIONS, THEN THEY'LL POSE AN APOCALYPTIC THREAT TO THE REST OF US.
ONE THAT MIGHT ACTUALLY COME TO A HEAD MUCH SOONER THAN ANYONE NOW THINKS.