which seeks to drive illegal immigrants out of the state bordering Mexico --
has galvanized Latinos and would translate into a higher turnout
for May Day rallies in more than 70 U.S. cities.
"The marches and demonstrations are going to be far more massive than they otherwise would have been," said Juan Jose Gutierrez, a Los Angeles rally organizer who runs an immigration assistance company.
WHAT'S AT STAKE?
THE RULE OF LAW.
Amanda Lee Myers / Associated Press:Illegal immigrants plan to leave over Ariz. law — PHOENIX (AP) — Many of the cars that once stopped in the Home Depot parking lot to pick up day laborers to hang drywall or do landscaping now just drive on by. — Arizona's sweeping immigration bill allows police to arrest illegal immigrant …
I HAVE ALREADY SEEN AN INFLUX OF NEWBIES INTO THE NY METROPOLITAN AREA...
- NEWBIES ARE EASY TO SPOT: THEY ASK THE OLD-TIMERS WHAT TO DO WHERE TO GO HOW TO DO THE THINGS LONGTIME ILLEGALS KNOW.
- ACROSS THE STREET FROM WHERE I WORK, ILLEGALS HAVE LINED UP FOR DAY WORK FOR YEARS. VERY ORDERLY.
- THE LAST FEW WEEKS THERE HAVE BEEN MANY MEXICANS ASKING WHAT'S WHAT.
- ALSO: ON THE TRAINS I REGULARLY RIDE, I HAVE SEEN DOZENS OF MEXICANS TRAVELING TO AND FROM FARMING-AREAS ASKING WHAT THE FARE IS, HOW MANY STOPS TO THEIR DESTINATION, ETC. THEY'RE OBVIOUSLY NEW IN TOWN - AND AS EASY TO SPOT AS TOURISTS ARE.
AND MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT THESE RALLIES:
THEY ARE ANTI-AMERICAN:
- THEY ARE BEING STAGED BY PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT OUR INTERNATIONAL BORDER DEFENDED.
- THEY ARE BEING STAGED BY PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT CITIZENSHIP TO BE DEFENDED.
- THIS IS ABOUT AS ANTI-AMERICAN AS YOU CAN GET WITHOUT ACTUALLY ATTACKING.
ALL THE ARIZONA LAW DOES IS EMPOWER STATE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS TO ENFORCE FEDERAL LAWS ON THE BOOKS FOR DECADES.
IT IS NOT FASCIST. IT IS NOT RACIST.
THE PROTESTERS ARE.