OBAMA DEMANDS ISRAEL HALT A DEVELOPMENT IN EAST JERUSALEM.
- OBAMA - AND THE LEFT - HOLD ISRAEL TO A DIFFERENT AND SEPARATE STANDARD THAN ALL OTHER NATIONS.
- THIS IS ANTISEMITISM.
- YES: OBAMA IS AN ANTI-SEMITE.
- LOOKIT FOLKS: WHEN YOU HOLD ISRAEL TO A DIFFERENT AND SEPARATE STANDARD THAN ALL OTHER NATIONS THAT'S WHAT IT IS!
- THIS MAKES HIM AND TURKEY A BETTER ALLY OF ISRAEL THAN THE EU;
- (THE EU'S FOREIGN POLICY CZAR - JAVIER SOLANA, A SPANISH SOCIALIST, CAME OUT IN FAVOR OF IMPOSING A SETTLEMENT LAST WEEK).
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, saying he would not take orders over Israeli settlement in East Jerusalem, rejected on Sunday a U.S. demand to halt plans to build more homes for Jews in the disputed area.2nd Update: We scooped Hot Air and Mere Rhetoric on this.
New friction with Washington over the project to build 20 apartments in a part of Jerusalem captured by Israel in a 1967 war could deepen the most serious rift in relations between the two allies in a decade.
Israeli officials said the State Department had summoned Michael Oren, Israel's ambassador to Washington, and told him plans for the construction approved this month by Israel's Jerusalem municipality should be suspended.
"We cannot accept the idea that Jews will not have the right to live and buy (homes) anywhere in Jerusalem," Netanyahu said, calling the city Israel's united capital, a claim that is not recognized internationally.
"I can only imagine what would happen if someone would suggest Jews could not live in certain neighborhoods of New York, London, Paris or Rome. There would certainly be a great international outcry," he told reporters at the weekly cabinet meeting. "We cannot accept this edict in Jerusalem."
Netanyahu and President Barack Obama are already at loggerheads over the U.S. leader's call for Israel to freeze Jewish settlement on occupied land Palestinians want for a state.