"ALL CAPS IN DEFENSE OF LIBERTY IS NO VICE."

Monday, January 26, 2009

UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON MAKES OBAMA'S DREAMS FROM MY FATHER REQUIRED READING FOR ALL INCOMING FRESHMAN

From the Seattle Post Intelligencer Blog:
Obama's "Dreams from My Father" picked for UW Common Book

The University of Washington picked a hot topic for its 2009 "common book," which all incoming freshmen will be asked to read next fall.

Picture

Barack Obama's "Dreams from My Father" was selected by a committee to be the university's fourth shared reading experience.

Here's how a UW spokeswoman describes the book:

Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance is an honest portrayal of Obama as he embarks on a journey of self-discovery as a young man after learning of his father's death an ocean away in Kenya. Separated from his father at the age of two, Obama knew his father only through the well-rehearsed stories told to him by his grandparents and mother. At the age of twenty-one, Obama decides it is time to finally confront the truths behind his racially-divided identity.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you believe in miracles?

Mystery Meat said...

The incoming students could do a lot worse. I don't have kneepads on for Obama, the euphoria surrounding his ascension to the presidency notwithstanding. I didn't vote for him. It's hard to see how Obama could ever be more popular than he is now. The only way to go for him is down. He hasn't done much yet, but each decision he makes will alienate some of the people who support him now. The demented Saul Alinsky once remarked "Don't worry, boys, we'll weather this storm of approval and come out as hated as ever."

Be patient. The Democrats will revert to form and resume savaging each other soon. The center (even if it is really the left of center) cannot hold.

Have you read "Dreams of my Father"? It is a remarkable book. I recommend it to my friends regardless of their political orientation.

juandos said...

"Here's how a UW spokeswoman describes the book:Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance is an honest portrayal of Obama as he embarks on a journey of self-discovery as a young man after learning of his father's death an ocean away in Kenya"...

Apparently the liars & libtards in the university setting have little if any qualms about lying to their students...

From the U.K. Daily Mail dated 27 January 2007: A drunk and a bigot - what the US Presidental hopeful HASN'T said about his father...

juandos said...

"Have you read "Dreams of my Father"? It is a remarkable book. I recommend it to my friends regardless of their political orientation"...

Are they as naive as you are?

If so I can see why it might make a good read...

Mystery Meat said...

"Are they as naive as you are?"

Tsk tsk. An ad hominem attack from The Astute Bloggers? Most unbecoming. I don't even know what you find so offensive. Am I naive because I read the book, or that I recommended it to others? Is it because it was well-written and I enjoyed reading it? Bizarre.