Mr. Obama and his team are working with Congressional leaders to devise a spending package that some lawmakers have suggested could total $400 billion to $700 billion. Some analysts forecast even higher costs.
A big part of that will be public works spending, particularly on projects aimed at conserving or expanding energy supplies and cleaning up the environment. “We will create millions of jobs by making the single largest new investment in our national infrastructure since the creation of the federal highway system in the 1950s,” Mr. Obama said.
... Mr. Obama also responded to criticism of waste and inefficiency in such programs by promising new rules to govern spending, like a “use it or lose it” requirement that states act quickly to invest in roads and bridges or sacrifice federal money.
“We won’t do it the old Washington way,” Mr. Obama said. “We won’t just throw money at the problem. We’ll measure progress by the reforms we make and the results we achieve — by the jobs we create, by the energy we save, by whether America is more competitive in the world.”
Mr. Rendell said such rules would help get people to work right away. In his state, he said, contractors generally have 120 days to turn in bids for projects, but he will cite these rules to cut it to 30 days. “If they complain and moan and whine,” he said, “I’m going to say, ‘use it or lose it.’ ”
A substantial part of the proposed economic package will go toward creating so-called green jobs, those that benefit the environment or save energy. That part of the package could run as high as $100 billion over two years, according to an aide familiar with the discussions.
- THE CHICAGO MACHINE IS SALIVATING...
- WHO WILL GET THE CONTRACTS?
- THEY WILL DECIDE.
- I HAVE A FEELING THEY'LL PICK THEIR FRIEND$.
- FOLKS WHO MAKE REZKO SEEM LIKE A PIKER.
- AND IT'LL BE RUN AS HONESTLY AS THEY RUN THEIR CITY.
- OBAMA'S CITY.
- AND THE "GREEN JOBS" PART!? A TOTAL EFFIN WASTE AS THERE IS NO AGW;
- ALL CLIMATE CHANGE IS NATURAL, NOT ANTHROPOGENIC.
- FACT: 1998 WAS THE HOTTEST YEAR IN THE DECADE;
- 2008 THE COOLEST -
- YET CO2 HAS STEADILY INCREASED.
- THIS DISPROVES THE MAN-MADE CO2 THEORY.
- END OF STORY.