"ALL CAPS IN DEFENSE OF LIBERTY IS NO VICE."

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Even The Lightbringer is now incorrect

Obama recently referred to mongrel dogs as "mutts like me". So is the term "mutt" a slur? I have no doubt that the old term "halfbreed" now is.

A Korean lady has protested:
"I've heard mixed-race people use that term to describe themselves before, usually in the same ha-ha way Obama did. I've also heard it thrown around as an insult, a pejorative, a slur. I've felt the slap of that word across my face" she wrote. "My fear, however, is that Obama, as the first mixed-race president, will shape the way most Americans view people of mixed race for at least a generation. And will Obama calling himself a 'mutt' - with humor, as if the word is nothing, nothing at all - make it socially acceptable for people to start calling me a mutt? My kids?"

I must say that I personally was rather pleased to see Obama calling himself a "mutt". It was definitely self-deprecating and I still adhere to the Christian view that humility is a virtue.

Posted by John Ray. For a daily critique of Leftist activities, see DISSECTING LEFTISM. For a daily survey of Australian politics, see AUSTRALIAN POLITICS Also, don't forget your daily roundup of pro-environment but anti-Greenie news and commentary at GREENIE WATCH . Email me (John Ray) here

No comments: