"ALL CAPS IN DEFENSE OF LIBERTY IS NO VICE."

Thursday, May 08, 2008

EDDY ARNOLD DIES - MUSIC STAR FOR "BITTER WHITE FOLKS"

HE DIDN'T SCREAM OR WAIL OR SCREECH.

HE SANG.

FROM HIS AP OBIT:
Eddy Arnold, whose mellow baritone on songs like "Make the World Go Away" made him one of the most successful country singers in history, died Thursday morning, days short of his 90th birthday. ... His wife of 66 years, Sally, had died in March, and in the same month, Arnold fell outside his home, injuring his hip.

... Most of his hits were done in association with famed guitarist Chet Atkins, the producer on most of the recording sessions.

The late Dinah Shore once described his voice as like "warm butter and syrup being poured over wonderful buttermilk pancakes."

... Friends said his wife helped handle his business dealings and was the inspiration for many of his love songs.

"What hurts me more than anything else is that he died of a broken heart," said Grand Ole Opry star Jim Ed Brown, a friend. "I don't think he ever recovered from that."

Arnold was born May 15, 1918, on a farm near Henderson, Tenn., the son of a sharecropper. He sang on radio stations in Jackson, Tenn., Memphis, Tenn., and St. Louis before becoming nationally known.

Early in his career, his manager was Col. Tom Parker, who later became Elvis Presley's manager.

His image was always that of a modest, clean-cut country boy.
ONE OF HIS BIG HITS WAS "RICHEST MAN IN THE WORLD".

OBAMA SHOULD LISTEN TO IT; IT WILL TELL HIM A LOT ABOUT THE "BITTER WHITE FOLK", AND WHY THE POLITICS OF CLASS WARFARE DOESN'T WORK ON US!

LYRICS:
I got a humpack mule a plow and a tater patch
Eggs that are gonna hatch someday
I got my Lord above and a good girl to love me
I'm the richest man in the world

Thank you thank you Lord above for smiling down on me
I'm richer now than any man has any right to be
Health and love and happiness have been my cup of tea
The richest man in all creation surely it is me

I got a humpack mule a plow and a tater patch...

I've got water in my well and heaven in my heart
I have a perfect woman I can trust when we're apart
Cash enough to see a show and eat out now and then
A roof a bed a fishing pole and folks who call me friend

I got a humpack mule a plow and a tater patch...

I don't have much bank account my cash on hand is small
But tell me what are riches but contentment after all
Other folks may think I'm poor but I know it's not so
Cause when I count my blessings I'm the richest man I know

I got a humpack mule a plow and a tater patch...

Now the rich folks talk about the grub they eat
Now I've got all those rich folks beat
Cause I've got a field of yellow yams
And a smokehouse filled with country hams
Talk to me about caviar
They ain't nothing but fish eggs packed in a jar
I got a whole pond of big round trout
Fish eggs what are they talking about
Hey I got no fancy swimming pool but the creek in the woods
Is deep and cool I'm a lucky man I'm a lucky fool
I'm wealthy I'm wealthy





EDDY ARNOLD. RIP.

1 comment:

Always On Watch said...

I'm not much on country music. But I always liked Eddy Arnold.

I should dig out some of my Eddy Arnold vinyls and listen to them again.