"ALL CAPS IN DEFENSE OF LIBERTY IS NO VICE."

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

AHERN RESIGNS: WILL IRELAND STILL HAVE A REFERENDUM?

BBC:
Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern has announced he is to resign in May.

Mr Ahern, 56, has been taoiseach since June 1997 and has been a member of the Irish Parliament for 31 years.

The announcement comes a day after Mr Ahern began a court challenge to limit the work of a public inquiry probing planning corruption in the 1990s.

The tribunal is probing Mr Ahern's personal finances. Mr Ahern has been leader of Fianna Fáil since 1994 and heads the coalition government.

Mr Ahern told a news conference he would tender his resignation as both taoiseach and Fianna Fáil leader on 6 May.

"I have never received a corrupt payment and I've never done anything to dishonour any office that I've ever held."
Bertie Ahern
Irish premier

He said: "The priority I put above all others was to work for peace on this island, and I have given all to that cause.

"I know in my heart of hearts I have done no wrong and wronged no-one.

"My decision is motivated by what is best for the people. It is a personal decision.

"I will not allow issues related to my own person to dominate the people and the body politic."

  • AHERN HAD PROMISED TO HOLD A REFERENDUM ON THE LISBON TREATY.
  • IN JUNE.
  • IF IT FAILED IN IRELAND, THE TREATY WOULD BE KAPUT.
  • WILL THE NEXT PM FULFILL THIS PROMISE?
  • (IF NOT, THEN I FEEL THAT THIS EPISODE WAS A PREMEDITATED EFFORT TO GET RID OF AHERN BECAUSE OF HIS STAND ON THE REFERENDUM.)

1 comment:

Niall said...

The referendum is a constitutional requirement, not Ahern's pet project. It is going ahead on June 12th.