"ALL CAPS IN DEFENSE OF LIBERTY IS NO VICE."

Friday, October 26, 2007

MIKE HUCKABEE IS NOT THE ANSWER

As I've made pretty clear I'll be voting for whoever gets the Republican nomination with the exception of Ron Paul but I have also been honest that I am no fan of Mike Huckabee.

I did this post on why I'm not thrilled with Huckabee. I hated to do one on why I didn't like him but people kept asking me why, so I spelled it out. Today, John Fund has come out with a column that I think says it all and is an "I told you so" moment for me. Here is small excerpt:
Mr. Huckabee attributes his support to the fact he is a "hardworking, consistent conservative with some authenticity about those convictions." He is certainly qualified for national office, having served nearly 11 years as a chief executive. I have known and liked him for years; on the stump he often tells the story of how we first met outside his boarded-up office in the state Capitol, which had been sealed by Arkansas Democrats who refused to accept he had won an upset election for lieutenant governor in 1993. But I also know he is not the "consistent conservative" he now claims to be.

Nor am I alone. Betsy Hagan, Arkansas director of the conservative Eagle Forum and a key backer of his early runs for office, was once "his No. 1 fan." She was bitterly disappointed with his record. "He was pro-life and pro-gun, but otherwise a liberal," she says. "Just like Bill Clinton he will charm you, but don't be surprised if he takes a completely different turn in office."

Phyllis Schlafly, president of the national Eagle Forum, is even more blunt. "He destroyed the conservative movement in Arkansas, and left the Republican Party a shambles," she says. "Yet some of the same evangelicals who sold us on George W. Bush as a 'compassionate conservative' are now trying to sell us on Mike Huckabee."

I know many social conservatives are nervous about Rudy but to be honest I think when it comes to Supreme Court Justices (where most moral issues come into play) I trust Rudy more than Huckabee to make good picks!!

1 comment:

James H said...

It is a sad hit piece by the WSJ. I think this Journalist that covered Huckabee makes a excellent rebuttal to the sins of omission of John Fund
http://roebuckreport.blogspot.com/2007/10/funds-column-assassination-of-huckabee.html