"ALL CAPS IN DEFENSE OF LIBERTY IS NO VICE."

Saturday, May 05, 2007

More Google strangeness

I was looking at this old article by Tom Wolfe that appeared on "Wicked Dox" a few days ago. I decided to see where else it was available on the internet. The answer varied a lot according to which search term is used. If I used the string "adroitly papering over the fact that the Nazis" -- which is a phrase found well into the body of the article -- I found no full copies of the article available anywhere. If however I used the string "Did a single historian mention that America now dominates the world" -- which is from the beginning of the article -- I found various full copies of the article (e.g. here).

So what are we to conclude from that? I think Google must be working on the assumption that they only need to store the first bit of a long article to be able to retrieve references to it. So the Lesson is? Break your writings up into lots of small documents, I guess. Good for bloggers if for no-one else!

I usually don't use a string from early in the article if I am searching for it -- as your search results get cluttered up with a whole lot of partial quotations from the article that way. A search for text occurring well into the body of the article is much more likely to lead you straight to a full copy of the article. But I guess I will have to change my ways in future.

I think Google should announce how much of a given article they are likely to store but I guess I am pissing into the wind with that hope. How they hope to store all the world's books when they cannot store what is already on the internet quite escapes me. The only things they seem to store comprehensively are blogs -- rather strangely. I am the last one to bad-mouth blogs but they are hardly the last word in information. I can think of many that are the last word in crap.

The results of Google searches vary from day to day and from hour to hour so whether anyone else gets the same results as I did above remains to be seen, of course. They did not have the Wicked Dox article at all when I searched but seeing that it is on a blog, they should pick it up fairly quickly. Google make us bloggers into the elite of the internet so perhaps I should not criticize them at all! It seems a pity that they are such a poor guide to the net, though. And the biggest pity is that most people don't realize that.

(For more postings from me, see TONGUE-TIED, EDUCATION WATCH, GREENIE WATCH, POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WATCH, FOOD & HEALTH SKEPTIC, GUN WATCH, SOCIALIZED MEDICINE, AUSTRALIAN POLITICS, DISSECTING LEFTISM, IMMIGRATION WATCH and EYE ON BRITAIN. My Home Pages are here or here or here. Email me (John Ray) here.)

No comments: