"ALL CAPS IN DEFENSE OF LIBERTY IS NO VICE."

Monday, May 02, 2005

FLORIDA PASSES JESSICA'S LAW

One down, 49 to go - because EVERY state in the union should have this law on the book (hat-tip Michele Malkin)- AP:

Spurred by the kidnapping and murder of a 9-year-old girl, Gov. Jeb Bush signed legislation Monday that strengthens punishment and monitoring of child sex abusers. The Jessica Lunsford Act sets a mandatory sentence of 25 years to life in prison for people convicted of molesting children under 12. If offenders serve less than life, they would be required to wear a global positioning system device after their release so authorities can monitor their whereabouts. [...] The proposal sped through the legislative process, pushed by outraged lawmakers - many of whom said it was hard to temper their anger and not go for something even harsher. It passed both the Senate and House unanimously and was sent to Bush on April 22. [...] The House had passed the bill unanimously April 19, two days after another sex offender was charged in the abduction and murder of 13-year-old Sarah Lunde of Ruskin.[...] Advocates for satellite monitoring of offenders say that in addition to warning authorities when a sex offender is someplace he shouldn't be - such as near a school - it also will allow for quick pinpointing of suspects if a child is abducted. The tracking requirement only affects people convicted in the future, but current sex offenders who violate their probation would be ordered back to jail or be placed under GPS monitoring.

On March 20th - right after Jessica's vicious murder - I started a blog devoted to this law - here's the link: JESSICA'S LAW.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have moved to Florida from the state of Washington and am thrilled to see that Florida has passed Jessica's Law. We have a 10 year old daughter and now 15 year old son and believe that evry state in the U.S. needs to pass the Jessica's Law. We have been follwing the case on the Groene children out of Coue'r'dalene Idaho as we are form the area and that law needs to effect the captor of these children as well. We as parents can only protect so much.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on christian single dating I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for christian single dating. Should the need ever arise where you need information on christian single dating then drop by for a look.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, you have a nice blog. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on adult dating services when I found your page. Your site is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on adult dating services then drop by the site above and check it out.

Anonymous said...

Wow! While I was searching for info on dating chat room I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for dating chat room. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about dating chat room.

Anonymous said...

Greetings Summer is comming to our part of the world, great! I was looking for the latest most up to date information on single online dating when I landed on your page, match I can see why I ended up here while looking for single online dating great stuff. I'm off to the beach.

Anonymous said...

Hi #NAME#. Just found your site via contact lenses. Although I was looking for contact lenses I was glad i came upon your site. Thanks for the read!

Unknown said...

hey nice blog..
for online dating in australia check out this website..
online dating personals australia