"ALL CAPS IN DEFENSE OF LIBERTY IS NO VICE."

Monday, October 04, 2010

ZIP OF WEASEL ZIPPERS EMULATES CHARLES JOHNSON/LGF

I commented on a thread at Weasel Zippers and ZIP deleted it.

I was one of thew first banned at LGF, and it is an honor to be banned at WZ.

WHY THE BAN!?

I called out Zip for "impolite" linkage.

It's NOT Zip's politics I disrespect; it's how he links and gives hat-tips: basically, he swipes all the juicy stuff and gives a cursory hat-tip at the end when there's no reason left to click over.

ACE has commented on this in general: IT'S BAD FORM.

ACE VIA THE OTHER MCCAIN:
Ace has reprised that theme in a memorable pimp-slapping of Charles Johnson:

Let me talk about “swiping stories.” Johnson believes that if he throws in a lame hat-tip at the end of a post, he hasn’t “swiped a story,” because he’s given you attribution.

That’s not the case. A lame hat-tip at the end of a post covers one’s ass, I suppose, in terms of attribution, but it fails to do what a proper link is supposed to do: Throw some traffic.

Some blogs are deliberately “gateway blogs,” throwing out traffic wide and far in general furtherance of good-guy blogger boosterism. . . .

On the other hand, some blogs are very jealous and ungenerous about throwing links and traffic to “competitors.” Some blogs fancy themselves not “gateway blogs” but “destination blogs,” and attempt to set themselves up as the only blog you need to read.

Not a portal, then, but a terminus. . . .
ZIP AT WEASEL ZIPPERS LINKS LIKE CHARLES JOHNSON AND BANS LIKE CHARLES JOHNSON.

ONLY ZIP'S POLITICS ARE BETTER.

BOTH ARE STALINISTIC BAN-MONKEYS AND LINKAGE-SCUM.

NOTE: I DELETED LGF FROM MY SIDEBAR. I HAVEN'T DELETED WZ - YET...

4 comments:

Always On Watch said...

Wow. Very disappointing.

WZ is a site I respect, but I have noticed the lack of hat-tip linkage there.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Astute, I'm from WZ. I'm one of 3 other bloggers there and I think it's unfair to characterize everyone's HT "policy" (if there is one) with your perception of Zip's personal HT perferences (if he's got them).

No one has a monopoly on the internet and I can personally tell you that most of the time, we're core-sourcers, looking through primary sites. So, if someone else posts and you think we're not HTing -- obviously, I know what you think that means, which is disappointing.

Please don't paint WZ w/ your broad brush.

What Ace wrote -- I'd like your readers to know that's not directed at us, so it doesn't apply to us.

And -- as a side note, maybe it would have been form for you to email Zip, rather than call him out publicly on his own site and get the rest of us embroiled in the mix.

.. my litle opinion. :)

I do promise if I see your stuff and decide to use it, I'll HT ya. That's my gig. Always has been, always been.

-- veronica

Reliapundit said...

THE POST VERY CLEARLY ATTACKS ZIP, NO ONE ELSE.

the boodge said...

I love Zips site, but like the Little Gay Flowers, Zip has removed some of my comments as well. He also likes to borrow images without giving credit either!