THIS SEEMS PROMISING: "The Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Land Management today published proposed regulations to establish a commercial oil shale program that could result in the addition of up to 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil from lands in the western United States. "800 BILLION.
I DUNNO IF THAT SEEMS LIKE A LOT TO YOU, BUT TO ME THAT SEEMS LIKE A LOT OF OIL...
According to British Petroleum Statistical Review of World Energy, as of 2007 Saudi Arabia reported it had 264 billion barrels (42×109 m3) of estimated oil reserves, around 21% of conventional world oil reserves. Since Saudi Arabia produced about 3.2 billion barrels (510×106 m3) of oil in 2006, this would give it over 80 years of reserves at current rates of production.
The United States has the largest known deposits of oil shale in the world, according to the Bureau of Land Management and holds an estimated 2,500 gigabarrels of potentially recoverable oil. However, oil shale does not actually contain oil, but a waxy oil precursor known as kerogen. For this reason and because there is not yet any significant commercial production of oil from oil shale in the United States as of 2008, its oil shale reserves do not meet the petroleum industry definition of proven oil reserves.
- IF 264 IS 21%, THEN 100% IS 1.4 TRILLION.
- PLUS 800 BILLION = 2.2 TRILLION.
- THAT WOULD MAKE THE USA HAVE ABOUT.,.. ER UM 37% OF THE WORLD'S OIL - AND SAUDI ARABIA ONLY... 12%.
- THE USA WOULD HAVE 3X AS MUCH OIL THAN THE SAUDI.
- IT WOULD BUST OPEC BETTER THAN ANY LAWSUIT.
- AND IT WOULD MEAN THAT THE USA HAS 320 YEARS OF OIL FROM SHALE.
- ASSUMING THE DEMS LET US USE IT.
- AND JUST STARTING THE PROCESS OF GETTING TO IT WILL LOWER PRICES, (AS THE ADDITIONAL SUPPLY IS FACTORED INTO PRICE CONSIDERATIONS).
- WANT TO USE IT?
PREVIOUS POST WITH MORE BACKGROUND HERE.
UPDATE: AND PASTORIUS REMINDS ME OF THIS ONE, TOO.
- THIS STORY OS BUILDING: SPREAD THE WORD.
- VOTE GOP SO WE CAN DEVELOP THIS RESOURCE!