Four people have been taken hostage in a bank in the southern French city of Toulouse by a man claiming to be linked to al-Qaeda, police say.
Officials say the gunman first demanded money. When he was refused, a shot was fired and hostages taken.DM:
- Gunman in bank close to where Islamic terrorist Mohammed Merah lived
- Shot heard soon after unidentified man stormed the CIC bank at 11am
- Has requested presence of elite RAID firearms unit that killed Merah
- Fears he wants to gain 'revenge' by initiating shoot-out with them
- Schools and colleges evacuated, roads closed surrounding the scene
The fact the French president has chosen so many Arabs in his new government shows he acknowledges importance of the community
By Shakir Noori Special to Gulf News
... On the evening of the election of Francois Hollande as the new French President, hundreds and thousands of French citizens celebrated this victory in Bastille; the symbolic location of the French revolution. Amongst the thousands immersed in revelry stood out ten or twenty individuals brandishing the flags of Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria and Libya....
... The fact the Hollande has chosen so many Arabs in his new government suggests that he has acknowledged the importance the community had in his victory. One survey indicates that 93% of the Arab community voted in favor of Hollande. Is Francois Hollande the bearer of good tidings for France, Europe and most importantly for the Arabs? Shakir Noori is a journalist and writer based in Dubai.
THINGS WILL GET WORSE IN FRANCE BEFORE THEY GET BETTER - IF THEY GET BETTER.