The misery index is an economic indicator, created by economist Arthur Okun, and found by adding the unemployment rate to the inflation rate.
... During the Presidential campaign of 1976, Democratic candidate Jimmy Carter made frequent references to the Misery Index, which by the summer of 1976 was at 13.57%.
Carter stated that no man responsible for giving a country a misery index that high had a right to even ask to be President.
Carter won the 1976 election.
However, by 1980, when President Carter was running for re-election against Ronald Reagan, the Misery Index had reached an all-time high of 21.98%. Carter lost the election to Reagan.
- REAGAN DIDN'T TELL US THAT THE WORST WAS YET TO COME.
- REAGAN TOLD US IT WAS MORNING IN AMERICA, THAT OUR BEST DAYS WERE STILL AHEAD OF US.
- AND HE HELPED US MAKE THAT TRUE.
- EIGHT. NOT 22.
- THAT MEASN THE MISERY INDEX IS ONE-THIRD OF WHAT IT WAS THEN.
- YET OBAMA TELLS US WE NEED A TRILLION DOLLAR STIMULUS PACKAGE, AND THAT THE WORST IS YET TO COME.
- AND THAT WE MUST MUST MUST PASS HIS "STIMULUS PACKAGE" TO FIX THE ECONOMY.
- THAT'S NOT OPTIMISM; IT'S PESSIMISM AND SOCIALISM.
- PESSIMISM AND SOCIALISM ARE NOT GOING TO END THE PANIC-DRIVEN, DOWNWARD SPIRALLING RECESSION.
- I THINK THERE'S ONLY ONE LOGICAL REASON OBAMA KEEPS TRASH-TALKING THE ECONOMY:
- OBAMA WANTS THINGS TO KEEP GETTING WORSE IN ORDER TO MAINTIAN THE DESPERATION NEEDED TO HELP PASS HIS RIDICULOUSLY WASTEFUL AND USELESS "STIMULUS PACKAGE".