"ALL CAPS IN DEFENSE OF LIBERTY IS NO VICE."

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Wikipedia versus "Knol"

I recently put up on Paralipomena an article about "Knol" -- the new Google alternative to Wikipedia. I imagine that most readers here are well aware that Wikipedia is totally unreliable on politically contentious matters. Anything opposed to Green/Left beliefs gets wiped rapidly -- sometimes within minutes. Try to find on Wikipedia anything much that argues against global warming if you don't believe me. Leftists have been devotees of political censorship ever since Napoleon. They just cannot afford to have people hear the whole story about their nonsense. And Wikpedia turns them loose.

One has to laugh at Wikipedia protestations of "neutrality". The bias is so bad that some people are predicting the demise of Wikipedia.

So an alternative that allows only the original author to delete stuff was badly needed. And Knol seems to meet that need. I thought therefore that I might help to get the ball rolling by putting up a few articles. The first one I put up is here.

I soon began to see the virtue of the Google approach. I have already received several steamed-up and ill-informed emails from a guy named Cyrus Robinson (cyrus.robinson@gimail.af.mil) who objects to what I have written. Clearly, if I had put the same stuff up on Wikipedia, he would have deleted it immediately. But on Knol he cannot.

It's ironical that the Leftists at Google are doing something that may help conservatives so I wonder how long that can last. Will Google start finding pretexts to delete conservative comments? Time will tell.

Posted by John Ray. For a daily critique of Leftist activities, see DISSECTING LEFTISM. For a daily survey of Australian politics, see AUSTRALIAN POLITICS Also, don't forget your roundup of Obama news and commentary at OBAMA WATCH

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome! I found a blog with my name/email address! I can think of no reason, other than trying to bring me spam/harassment that the author would have included my email address (he is posting this same post on multiple sites...). Further, the assertion is false. I did not comment on the content of what the guy authored. I commented on his claim that he has published "far more than anybody else ever has" on authoritarianism. What a ridiculous (and unsubstantiated) claim! He may well have published plenty, but his claim is silly... As for Wikipedia, I would not have deleted your article...I'd have deleted that one claim. If you had a verifiable, legitimate source supporting the claim...then you could just as easily revert my deletion and substantiate it. A man so opposed to authoritarianism is reluctant to requiring substantiated research/claims? Interesting...