SEN. BARACK OBAMA (D-IL), PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE:THIS IS UTTER BS.
If he was captured alive, then we would make a decision to bring the full weight of not only U.S. justice, but world justice down on him. And I think that -- and I've said this before -- that I am not a cheerleader for the death penalty. I think it has to be reserved for only the most heinous crimes, but I certainly think plotting and engineering the death of 3,000 Americans justifies such an approach.
Now, the -- I think this is a big hypothetical, though. Let's catch him first, and the fact that we have failed to seriously go after al Qaeda over the last five years because of the distraction of Iraq, I think we are now seeing the consequences of that in Afghanistan.
THE REASON THERE'S AN UPTICK OF VIOLENCE IN AFGHANISTAN NOW IS TWO-FOLD:
(1) BECAUSE THE NEW REGIME IN PAKISTAN HAS BEEN APPEASING THE TALIBAN; AND
(2) BECAUSE WE AND OUR NATO ALLIES ARE BEING MORE AGGRESSIVE ABOUT GOING AFTER THEM.]
- AND WE HAVE KILLED MORE AL QAEDA IN IRAQ SINCE 2004 THAN ANYWHERE ELSE.
- WE'RE KILLING THEM THERE BECAUSE AL QAEDA DECIDED TO MAKE A STAND THERE. WE RESPONDED TO THEIR ATTACKS AND THEIR EFFORTS TO START A SECTARIAN WAR.
- THE IRAQ WAR HAS MADE THE ENTIRE WORLD SAFER, TOO.
- AND HAS LEFT AL QAEDA REELING.
- OBAMA IS DEAD WRONG ABOUT IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN.