Hamas representatives, including Abdel Aziz Rantisi, who was assassinated by the Israel Defense Forces in 2004, contacted Iraqi intelligence and asked to coordinate attacks against American and Israeli targets to delay the American invasion of Iraq in 2003.
The documents also show that Iraqi agents also followed the activities of Israel in Jordan, Qatar and the Philippines.
A video recording of a meeting between Saddam and Yasser Arafat on April 19, 1990, showed Saddam threatening to assassinate then president George Bush. "We may not be able to reach Washington, but we could send someone with an explosives belt to Washington," Saddam told Arafat, three months before the invasion of Kuwait.
"We can send people to Washington. A man with an explosives belt could throw himself on Bush's car."
Saddam also told his Palestinian guest that he intended to launch surface-to-surface ballistic missiles against Tel Aviv and that he possessed chemical weapons that "have been successfully employed" against Iran - and he would not hesitate to also use them against Israel.
- THE ARTICLE IS MOSTLY ABOUT SADDAM'S PLANS TO ATTACK ISRAEL,
- BUT THE INFO ABOUT HAMAS AND ARAFAT IS MOST TELLING:
- SADDAM HAD CONTACTS WITH JIHADO-TERRORISTS,
- AND ACTIVELY EXPLORED USING THEM TO ATTACK US HERE AT HOME.
HE THREATENED AS MUCH:
If you use pressure, we will deploy pressure and force. We know that you can harm us although we do not threaten you. But we too can harm you. Everyone can cause harm according to their ability and their size. We cannot come all the way to you in the United States, but individual Arabs may reach you.
- THIS WAS A DIRECT THREAT TO USE TERRORISTS IN THE USA - IT WAS MADE BY SADDAM TO AMBASSADOR APRIL GLASPIE.
- THE DOCUMENTS DISCUSSED IN THIS HAARETZ ARTICLE GIVE FURTHER IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE THAT THIS THREAT WAS REAL - AND NO SANE PERSON WOULD TOLERATE IT IN A POST-9/11 WORLD.
NO ONE EXCEPT A DEMOCRAT.