Hugo Chavez Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has said he will step down when his current term expires in 2013, following the defeat of his reform proposals.
Last weekend, Venezuelans narrowly rejected the president's plans to reform the constitution.
They included a proposal to allow him to run for re-election indefinitely.
Mr Chavez has said the country voted no because it was blackmailed by violence threats and on Wednesday said he would try again to push through his reforms.
Venezuelans voted 51% to 49% against the proposals in Sunday's national referendum.
The result was a blow to Mr Chavez, who had previously secured convincing victories in elections and referendums, including his triumph last December in the presidential poll with 63% of the vote.
In his first public statement that he would step down as planned, Mr Chavez said: "The reforms did not get passed, so I will have to leave power in 2013.
I will work around the clock; until the very last day I have left here, I will work relentlessly."
- MAYBE AL GORE CAN GET HIM A LUCRATIVE JOB TRADING CARBON INDULGENCES?
- OR HE CAN GO ON PEACE MISSIONS WITH JIMMY CARTER?
- OR HOLD LOVE-INS WITH MAHMOUD AHMADINEJAD?
- OR SOCIALISM-IN-ACTION TRAINING SEMINARS WITH MUGABE AND FIDEL?
- OR HE CAN CO-STAR IN A MOVIE STARRING SEAN PENN, DANNY GLOVER, HARRY BELAFONTE AND ROSIE O'DONNELL - DIRECTED BY MICHAEL MOORE?
- OR HE CAN BE VOTED IN AS UN SECRETARY GENERAL?
- OR HE CAN GO TO HELL.
I LIKE THE LATTER. BUT WHY WAIT FOR 2013?