"ALL CAPS IN DEFENSE OF LIBERTY IS NO VICE."

Thursday, September 06, 2007

FRED THOMPSON AND THE REPUBLICAN DEBATE

I was glad to see Fred Thompson on Jay Leno last night. I thought he did a great job. I'm looking forward to seeing him officially announce today.

THE FOX NEWS DEBATE

To be honest I wasn't that thrilled about watching the debate without Fred but I did anyway.

My Rankings:

1) Duncan Hunter--Best line of the night--"Thats one thing about our party, when our guys have problems like this they leave, they leave the Senate or the House. When the Democrats have problems like this they often make them chairman of their respective committees." Pure gold :-)!!

Awesome comment about what our soldiers have done in the Anbar province and how we leave Iraq in victory. Awesome praise of our men and women in the uniform.

Good answer to the Iran question.

2) Rudy Giuliani--He gave the best answer to the Fred question at the beginning of the debate. I loved his comment about the Democrat candidates needing on the job training.

Best answer to the Iran question.

My biggest disappointment in him was his comment about how if he wasn't running he would be endorsing McCain-gag!!

I thought he dropped the ball on the Family Values question.

3) Mitt Romney--For the first time I will admit that he did "look" very presidential at this debate. And he did get the most low blow questions. Yet, he was never able to respond well to them. I hadn't heard his comparison of his sons helping him to get elected to others' sons serving in Iraq (I was out of town). Wow!! Talk about a HUGE blunder.

Bad and confusing answer to the Iran question. Consensus with other nations? What if there is no consensus? We let Iran have free reign?

4) Sam Brownback--I think this picture says it all.

5) Mike Huckabee--No one seems to get why I strongly dislike Huckabee, I'm not even sure why I do, but he fails my gut check, big time!! He comes across as very condescending. Some have mentioned him as a VP candidate, I'm not even comfortable with that.

6) John McCain--The only thing he said that I was impressed with was his comments about cutting back on spending. Otherwise, he always looks uncomfortable. You get the impression that he isn't comfortable in his own skin. He also comes across as arrogant to me. His answer on torture was horrible, I still can't believe that even he buys into that belief.

7) Tom Tancredo--Angry and bitter, this guy is a total pessimist.

8) Ron Paul--The Ultimate nut job candidate who doesn't even belong at a Republican debate. Chris Wallace burned him big time when he implied that he was taking orders from Al Qaeda. Wallace also exposed Paul when he listed all the things that Paul would do away with such as the IRS, CIA, FBI, Homeland Security, Federal Reserve, Medicare....." Need I say more????

4 comments:

northern seer said...

Dee - some of your comments are useless to someone who has not seen the debate!

Punditarian said...

I received a telephone call from the Thompson campaign at home last night. The caller asked me to listen to a 2-minute tape recording of Fred Thompson, and then answer a question afterwards. The question was something like, do you think now is the time for common people like you and me to take back the Federal government? My answer was this:

1)On the tape, Fred Thompson sounded like a phony. He was unctuous, and his folksy verbal mannerisms sounded bogus.

2) He mentioned that he had left the Senate in 2002, probably because of the same sort of cynicism about government that he is hearing around the country.

It occurred to me that he was in fact admitting to deserting his Country's service in a time of War.

3) I asked the caller to have the campaign put me on the no-call list.

I was very disappointed. I had liked Fred Thompson a lot. Of all the candidates, I thought he was one whose every comment was something with which I could agree.

But I don't think I will be supporting him any more.

Dionne said...

Northern Seer:
Sorry, I was up late just putting down my takes on the debate. I figured there were plenty of other sites that would give a summary of the debate.

M. Simon said...

First:

Ron Paul represents well the libertarian wing of the Republican Party.

Aside from his nutty stuff on the war he is a small government Republican. A voice Republicans ought to pay more attention to.

In any case he got one vote from me for President. That is enough.

=====

punditarian,

If you are looking for true sincerity politics is the wrong place.

I like where Fred is coming from and the fact that in his communications ability he reminds me a lot of Kennedy, Reagan, and Truman.

Our lack of a good communicator in the White House has been a serious constraint on our war fighting effort.

I expect Fred will be as crooked, venal, and insincere as the rest. My question is: does he support policies I approve of and can he communicate them well?