They argue this because they claim that:
(1) Saddam had not violated any of the UNSCR's WMD provisions;
(2) Saddam was contained by (a) the sanctions and (b) the NO-FLY ZONES;
(3) Saddam had no relationship with al Qaeda or other jihadoterrorists.
ALL THESE CLAIMS HAVE BEEN PROVEN FALSE. THESE CHARGES - BEING REPEATED AND REPEATED IN THE MSM ARE LIES. WHAT IS CALLED "THE BIG LIE."
(1) Saddam was in violation of the WMD provisions of the UNSCR's: he had illegal weapons and missiles and illegal weapons and missile programs. [More HERE and MUCH MORE HERE!] ALSO: Kay and Duelfer each testified that Saddam was in violation of various UNSCR's - which constituted the armistice for the 1991 Gulf War; [KAY: "We have discovered dozens of WMD-related program activities and significant amounts of equipment that Iraq concealed from the United Nations during the inspections that began in late 2002."
The ISG unequivocably proved that Saddam was in violation of the UNSCR's which constituted the armistice for the 1991 Gulf War. Violating an armistice is de jure cause for war, for re-starting hostilities; WHAT IS MORE, SADDAM ALSO VIOLATED UNSCR#1441 - HIS FINAL CHANCE. Therefore, the WMD case for war was fine. MAJOR POINT: Stockpiles of WMD were not a necessary precondition for war, nor the only precondition for war.
(2a) The sanctions have been proven to have been a horrible failure on all grounds; they did not stop Saddam from getting under-the-table money to spend on himself and his fellow Sunni Baathists, or on illegal weapons, and they did not alleviate the suffering of the captive Iraqi people.
(2b) The US and UK enforced NO-FLY ZONES were the only thing stopping Saddam from committing more genocide against the Shias and the Kurds. US and UK jets enforcing the NO-FLY ZONES were routinely fired upon by Saddam's military forces - in and of itself an act of war.
(3) Saddam had a relationship with al Qaeda - which BOTH the Clinton Administration and the 9/11 Commission acknowledged. IN ADDITION, in 1991 when he was confronted with the possibility of a US military counter-attack to his invasion of Kuwait - Saddam warned our Ambassador to Iraq that while Iraq's military couldn't attack the US, he could send an Arab terrorist to attack us. ALSO: Zarqawi and other jihadoterrorists were in Iraq BEFORE the war. More HERE. The Saddam-Jihadoterrorist connection was real and a real threat, a threat which - in a post-9/11 - world could no longer be ignored.
The Dem/Left is wrong; Bush was right to go to war; Bush had just cause. And - contrary to what the Dem/Left and the MSM want you to believe, it is NOT going badly in Iraq: They have a constitution and soon will have an elected Parliament. SURE: the bloody battle against jihadoterrorism continues in Iraq, but it also continues in Thailand and India and Russia and France and many other places that have NOTHING to do with Iraq, or Bush (or Israel!).
A democratic Iraq will be a good ally in the GWOT and a bulwark of democracy in the region. We mustn't give up the fight! We mustn't lose our reslove or waiver. Only a lack of resolve can defeat us. The truth is on our side, and the cause is just. Our troops are gallant and brave. So when the Left urges appeasement or retreat or revisionism, just say, "NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!" And say, God Bless Bush. God Bless Our Troops - and Those of Our Allies. And God Bless America.